Thursday, August 5, 2010

Transferable Research Skills (Part B)

Remote Usability Testing:

Remote testing, is about conducting usability testing without having participants come into the lab. Although there are several tools and web services on the market, I prefer to work with userfeel because of the low cost, and their massive network of testers from all over the globe.

A/B and Multivariate Testing:

A/B and multivariate testing, is about testing different versions of the same design, in order to see which performs the best. I use this technique in all of my usability tests, either by differentiating my designs across one variable (i.e., A/B testing) or more (i.e., multivariate testing).

Co-Discovering Learning:

My approach to co-discovering learning, is as follows: I usually ask two or more users to perform a task together, while I observe them. I encourage them to converse and interact with each other to create a “team spirit”. In some cases, I also allow note taking (e.g., when the content is technical/complex). The technique can yield some really powerful results, as it is more natural for users to verbalise their thought during the test.

Participatory Design:

image

Participatory design, is about involving users into the design and decision-making process into an iterative cycle of designing and evaluation. I usually conduct a short participatory design session, prior all of my usability evaluations. In these sessions, the usability issue of a prototype system are determined, and the changes to accommodate for these issues are made. The refined system is then used in the actual usability evaluation.


A4.0 Inspection Methods

Cognitive Walkthrough:

Cognitive Walkthrough

The cognitive walkthrough is a method of “quick and dirty” usability testing requiring a number of expert evaluators. A list of tasks and the actions to complete them is created. The evaluators step  through each task, action by action, noting down problems and difficulties as they go. I can use cognitive walkthroughs on a number of digital interfaces, ranging from web sites to complex authoring toolkits.

Heuristic Evaluation:

Heuristic Evaluation

Heuristic evaluation is about judging the compliance of an interface against a number of recognized usability principles (i.e., the Heuristics). I used this method extensively in the evaluation of e-learning prototypes during my teaching at Middlesex University.


A5.0 Advanced Usability Techniques (in training)

Eye Tracking:

heatmap_lightbox

Eye tracking is a technique that pinpoints where the users look on a system and for how long. I am currently talking with Middlesex University in order to get training on using eye-tracking as a usability testing technique. We plan to conduct a series of eye-tracking session in Middlesex state-of-the-art usability labs, using the MGUIDE prototypes.

Emotion Recognition & Eye Tracking

This is a technique I developed during the MGUIDE project. I discuss it in detail here. It was developed with avatar-based interfaces/presentation systems in mind, but it is universal in nature. It is based on the hypothesis that the perceived accessibility of a system’s content is evident in the user's emotional expressions. The combined “Emotion Recognition and Eye-tracking” technique will be validated in a lab-based study that will be performed at Middlesex University.


A5.0 Audits

Accessibility Audit:

In accessibility audit, an expert checks the compliance of a web site with established guidelines and metrics. The  W3C WAI are the most widely used guidelines in accessibility audits. My approach for accessibility evaluation is framework-based (see here), but a) I haven’t applied my framework with disabled users and b) the W3C WAI heuristics are very well established. Although I have a good knowledge of the W3C WAI heuristics, I have never performed an accessibility audit before.

 

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment