Friday, July 30, 2010

E-Learning Prototype

Below is the prototype of a e-learning system that I was asked to do by a company. As I can not draw, I decided to use Microsoft Word to communicate my ideas. There should be a good storyboarding tool out there that could help me to streamline the process.

The design below is based on existing and proven technologies that can be easily integrated into existing e-learning platforms. Codebaby, a company in Canada is already using avatars (such as those shown in my design) [1] in e-learning very successfully for several years. The picture in the last screen of the design is a virtual classroom [2] created in the popular Second Life platform.

 
Compare my solution with a “conventional” e-learning platform shown below. Although I do include several GUI (Graphical User Interface) elements in my work, it is obvious that : a) my interface is minimalistic with fewer elements on the screen. b) accessibility is greater, as instead of clicking on multiple links in order to accomplish tasks, you can simply “ask” the system using the most natural method you know - “natural language”. The benefits of avatar-assisted e-learning will become evident when the web progresses from its current form to Web 2.0 and ultimately to Web 3.0. For now, such solutions should at least be offered as an augmentation to “conventional” GUI-based interfaces. All companies want something more, for example something that would add easier access to module contents and  the “WOW” factor to their products. They just don’t know what it is until you show it to them.
 
1[2]
 
Although the proposed design is based on mature and well-tested technologies, I can understand if someone wants the purely GUI solutions. In fact, I would be more than happy to assist them. I have been working with GUI interfaces for several years, long before I developed an interest for avatar technologies. I developed my first e-learning tool back in 1998 (12 years ago). It was an educational CD-ROM about the robotic telescope platform of Bradford University.
 

[1] http://www.codebaby.com/showcase/

[2] http://horizonproject.wikispaces.com/Virtual+Worlds

0 comments:

Post a Comment